Friday 6 May 2011

KING QUEEN JACK..........ELVIS FREDDIE JACKO

For my support module 'illustration with print making', The brief is to produce 3 playing card designs using either lino cut, dry point or mono-print methods. I have decided to stick with lino for all three end products. I have finally decided on a set of three picture cards in the style of victorian postage stamps. The cameo's themselves will be usable as saleable prints.

I thought I would do:

Elvis - King

Freddie Mercury - Queen

Michael Jackson - Jack

My first lino cut (below) is nice but I want a nice unified theme.


I've been looking for Elvis and Freddie prints and there isn't much out there
                                                              
This is my favourite out of the one I could find. very different to what I am hoping for though
I also found a couple examples of Elvis and Freddie stamps, but neither are the kind of thing i am looking to do either!!


I would like to combine a cameo of the fellas in a 'Penny black' style but in a playing card context. I think it will work well with the kind of textures I can get with lino.


The Penny Black was the world's first adhesive postage stamp used in a public postal system. It was issued by the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Ireland on 1 May 1840, for official use from 6 May of that year.
All London post offices received official issues of the new stamps but other offices throughout the United Kingdom did not, continuing to accept postage payments in cash only for a period. Post offices such as those in Bath, began offering the stamp unofficially after 2 May.

I am hoping to combine the stamp, music and playing card to produce as set of three picture cards in the above style.


No comments:

Post a Comment